Well, this is quite unexpected and lovely. A fellow blogger and mom, Louise, has nominated Brimming for the Liebster Award! She’s so sweet and has left the kindest comments on some of my posts. You should check out her blog about motherhood, pregnancy, confidence building and self-love, as well as follow her on twitter. That she has taken the time to not only read, comment and boost my blog to her followers, but also nominate me for this kind of thing is really so generous and kind! Thank you, Louise!
So, what is the Liebster Award? It’s a blogging award given by fellow bloggers that is all about shining a spotlight on new and promising young blogs. Liebster in German means “beloved” and “valued” (among other translations), which is a pretty lovely title for an award championing other blogs.
Official rules are here: As I understand it, the nomination is the prize. It’s simply all about community recognition. In return, you must acknowledge the blogger who nominated you, answer their 11 questions, nominate other blogs, and ask them 11 questions. It’s all with the express purpose of getting to know bloggers more personally and also discovering as many new blogs as possible. As someone very new to this scene, I find this kind of community support totally uplifting.
This basically feels like a late-nineties chain letter that we used to send each other on AOL, and I am here for it.
1. What inspired you to begin your blog? What was your reason and what is your blog about?
Brimming is my online brain. It’s where I put all my thoughts that brim over about motherhood, pregnancy, television, books, writing, and more. I was inspired to start a site where I could write out my experience, be a voice to some of the darker and less discussed sides of parenting, while also gabbing about the fun stuff, in the hopes of finding a community with which to share it. I update it daily (or as close to daily as I can) in order to connect with as many people as possible.
2. What qualities do you like about yourself?
When I set my mind to something, I do it. I’m dedicated, ambitious, loving, head-strong, and I don’t take myself too seriously.
3. Are you more a city or country person?
4. Do you have children? If not, would you like to have children in the future & what would you name them?
Yes, an adorable two-year-old boy.
5. Do you wear makeup? If so what is one thing that’s essential in your makeup routine? (Mines filling in my eyebrows!)
I do wear make-up and my one essential is mascara.
6. If you could spend a whole day with 3 celebrities who would you spend the day with?
Beyoncé (obviously), Mandy Moore (less obviously, but my love for her runs deep), and Barbra Streisand because I need her guidance, and I wonder if she’d let me recreate this photo:
7. What’s your ideal holiday? Where would you love to travel?
Beach, ocean, food, drinks. Iceland, which is the antithesis of all of this things. I’m a gemini.
8. Have you got any phobias? If so what?
My anxiety is constant, but I don’t have specific phobias.
9. Whats an interesting fact about you that not many people know?
I won the D.A.R.E. award essay contest in 5th grade and it pretty much started me down the path of wanting to be a writer. Awards are pretty effective motivators (ahem).
10. What’s the craziest and most spontaneous thing you’ve ever done?
Skydiving. Highly recommend (pre-children).
11. Would you say you’re an optimist, pessimist or realist?
Having a child is the most optimistic thing you can do (the other being starting a new blog in 2017), so I am an optimist, 100%.
My Nominees are:
MY JAWBREAKERS “Culture, Fame, Conversation”
All About M.O.M. “Mastering Our Motherhood”
The Nonverbal Projekts “Your Nonverbal Communication Coach”
Silva Waiganjo “I Constantly Thrive For Honest and Interesting Work”
Waves and Lilacs “It is my desire to share with you my life, writings, photographs and of course some recipes or tips.”
Your questions, should you wish to participate:
- Introduce yourself and your blog, what it’s about, why you started it and how long you’ve been working on it?
- What is your favorite book or book series?
- Top three websites you visit every day?
- Do you have any rituals around writing (same drink, space, music, etc?)
- Is blogging your hope for your career or your hobby?
- What’s your go-to drink when you go out?
- What three words would your best friend choose to describe you?
- Do you have any favorite blogging apps?
- What do you do when you feel discouraged?
- What is the most effective way you’ve found an audience?
- Who would play you in a movie about yourself?
Additionally, I want to also encourage other mom/parenting bloggers to check out A Morning Grouch. She is not a new or young blog by any means, she’s a professional writer who is smart and keeps it super real about parenting (in addition to many other topics). I discovered her blog early in my postpartum haze after reading her amazing post about why parents are so tired and it helped me feel so validated and normal (a dream after having your first baby). Enjoy!
Have fun, all! Looking forward to finding more sites to follow!